Poor School Performance Linked to Undiagnosed Vision Problems
Be sure an uncorrected vision problem isn’t one of the challenges facing you children this school year! Annual eye health examinations are a must for every child. A vision screening is not the same as a comprehensive eye health examination.While vision screenings can detect some vision problems, they can often miss more than they find. Screenings often create a false sense of security for people who “pass” the screening, but who actually have a vision problems.
It is estimated that 10% of school-aged children have undiagnosed visual problems and are likely suffering academically. Not all learning problems are related to eyesight, but many are and an analysis of the visual system is helpful in determining the source of any learning disabilities.
Dyslexia, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and other learning disabilities are often elusive diagnoses since each child will manifest their symptoms differently. A thorough visual system analysis is critical to fully understanding the underlying problems. Ocular functioning, such as eye tracking and improper eye movements, may be the cause of academic problems. Many children with academic problems related to vision may have 20/20 sight on screening tests at school.
Sports Performance and Safety:
Just as in academics, the ability to perform athletically is largely governed by our vision. Beyond our normal visual acuity on the eye chart, exceptional athletes also display exceptional dynamic visual acuity:
- Depth perception
- Contrast sensitivity
- Color vision
- Peripheral vision
- Eye-hand coordination and reaction time
A comprehensive eye health and vision examination includes:
- Patient and family health history
- Visual acuity measurement
- Preliminary tests of visual function and eye health including depth perception, color vision, peripheral vision and response of the pupils to light
- Assessment of refractive status to determine the presence of nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism
- Evaluation of eye focusing, eye teaming and eye movement abilities
- Eye health examination